Disques Debs International Vol. 1
Various Artists - Disques Debs International Vol. 1
A2 CASIMIR LÉTANG – TRAVAIL Z’ENFANTS! CHANTEZ APRÈS!
A3 CYRIL DIAZ ET SON ORCHESTRE – FEELING HAPPY
A4 GEORGES TINEDOR ET MANUELA PIOCHE – COLLIÉ ET ZANNO
A5 HENRI DEBS QUINTET – DOUCE KOMBASS
A6 JOSEPH LACIDES – MR. MORIN
B1 GENO EXILIE – LAN MISÈ
B2 DOLOR ET LES DIABLES DU RYTHME – SALVANA
B3 SYDNEY LÉRÉMON ET SES AMIS DU CALVAIRE BAIE- MAHAULT – YOU YOU MATAYANGO
B4 RAYMOND CICAULT ET SON ORCHESTRE VOLCAN – À MON AMI LUCIEN JOLIBOIS
B5 ORCHESTRE ESPERANZA ET JEAN LEROY – OU PAS BEL
B6 HENRI DEBS SEXTET ET PAUL BLAMAR – MOIN ÇÉ ON MALÉRÉ
C1 LE RY-CO JAZZ – SI I BON DI I BON
C2 REMY MONDEY – MERINGUE MONDEY
C3 HENRI GUEDON ET LES CONTESTA – VAN VAN
C4 LES SHUPA SHUPA D’HAITI – BATTERIE SHUPA
D1 PAUL BLAMAR ET VÉLO – LOVENCY
D2 ERIC VIRGAL – STANISLAS
D3 LES AIGLONS – LES AIGLONS KA SATISFAIT
D4 TUTUS DE LA GUYANE – NANAO NANAO
D5 GUY CONQUETTE – ASSEZ FAIT CANCAN
2. CASIMIR LÉTANG – TRAVAIL Z’ENFANTS! CHANTEZ APRÈS!
3. CYRIL DIAZ ET SON ORCHESTRE – FEELING HAPPY
4. GEORGES TINEDOR ET MANUELA PIOCHE – COLLIÉ ET ZANNO
5. HENRI DEBS QUINTET – DOUCE KOMBASS
6. JOSEPH LACIDES – MR. MORIN
7. GENO EXILIE – LAN MISÈ
8. DOLOR ET LES DIABLES DU RYTHME – SALVANA
9. SYDNEY LÉRÉMON ET SES AMIS DU CALVAIRE BAIE-MAHAULT – YOU YOU MATAYANGO
10. RAYMOND CICAULT ET SON ORCHESTRE VOLCAN – À MON AMI LUCIEN JOLIBOIS
11. ORCHESTRE ESPERANZA ET JEAN LEROY – OU PAS BEL
12. HENRI DEBS SEXTET ET PAUL BLAMAR – MOIN ÇÉ ON MALÉRÉ
13. LE RY-CO JAZZ – SI I BON DI I BON
14. REMY MONDEY – MERINGUE MONDEY
15. HENRI GUEDON ET LES CONTESTA – VAN VAN (3.36)
16. LES SHUPA SHUPA D’HAITI – BATTERIE SHUPA
Strut present the first ever compilation series to access the archives of one of the greatest of all French Caribbean labels, Disques Debs out of Guadeloupe. Set up by the late Henri Debs during the late ‘50s, the label and studio has continued for over 50 years, releasing over 300 7” singles and 200 LPs, covering styles varying from early biguine and bolero to zouk and reggae. Debs played a pivotal role in bringing the créole music of Guadeloupe and Martinique to a wider international audience.
Volume 1 of this series marks the first decade of the label’s existence and takes in big band orchestras, home-grown stars, touring bands and a new generation that would emerge at the end of the ‘60s. Early releases were recorded in the back of Henri’s shop in Pointe-a- Pitre, from his own sextet playing percussive biguines to young saxophonist Edouard Benoit, leader of Les Maxels and regular arranger for Debs bands. Other artists ranged from big bands like Orchestre Esperanza and Orchestre Caribbean Jazz to poet and radio personality Casimir “Caso” Létang and folkloric gwo ka artist Sydney Leremon. Debs also capitalised on recording foreign touring artists visiting Guadeloupe during the early ‘60s including Haitian trumpeter Raymond Cicault and Trinidadian bandleader Cyril Diaz.
Compiled by Hugo Mendez (Sofrito) and Emile Omar (Roseaux), ‘Disques Debs International’ is released in conjunction with Henri Debs Et Fils and Air Caraibes. The package features a host of rare and unseen photos from the Debs archive with both formats featuring extensive sleeve notes and interviews with Philippe Debs and Max “Maxo” Severin of Les Vikings.